Summer’s here & this Easy Fiesta Lime Coleslaw is an unexpected twist to your backyard BBQ that everybody’s gonna RAVE about!
I’m always looking for just about any reason to turn a beloved classic into a dish with a Mexican flair. ENTER: Easy Fiesta Lime Coleslaw. This ain’t ya mama’s coleslaw, but it’s a great way to shake things up a bit at your next BBQ. This goes great with black bean burgers, slow cooked pork, casseroles, or anything in between.
So, don’t buy that sad container of watered down coleslaw from the deli. Grab a handful of fresh ingredients & mix them together to get this!
DO I HAVE TO USE VINEGAR IN COLESLAW?
Nope, but you certainly can. I love a tangy vinegar based coleslaw–it’s the southern girl in me, I guess. I’ve made this recipe both ways & honestly it just depends on my mood.
The great part about this Easy Fiesta Lime Coleslaw is that it’s so forgiving (as are all our recipes at Freaking Delish!), so do you!
My favorite vinegar is apple cider for this recipe, but always use what you’ve got on hand!
IS IT BETTER TO MAKE COLESLAW THE DAY BEFORE?
Nope. Not in my humble opinion. I mean, I’ll totally eat it, but I like my slaw a little on the crunchy side. In this recipe, I suggest you give it about 30 minutes for the flavors to get their groove on & do their thing.
But, after that, it’s time to dive in. It’s a great recipe to make ahead of time — even 4 hours!
So, if you’re multitasking & marking things off your to-do list, then let this be one of them. The only thing you have to hold off on adding is your choice of topper.
EASY FIESTA LIME COLESLAW
Spice up your next BBQ with this Easy Fiesta Lime Coleslaw this summer.
- 1 (16 oz) Bag Cabbage "Slaw" Mix
- 2 Scallions (diced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Jalapeno (minced)
- 1 c. Frozen Corn (thawed)
- 1 c. Ranch Dressing
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- 1 Avocado
- 3 tsp. Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro
- Optional: Mulit-colored tortilla strip salad toppers, Fritos, or Takis OR even Fried Jalapeno salad toppers.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coleslaw mix.
- Remove the stem, seeds & ribbing from the jalapeno. Dice into a small mince & add to the mix.
- Thaw Corn in the microwave just until thawed. Add to mix.
- Then, dice red bell pepper & scallions and add to the mix.
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing, lime juice & taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Add dressing to the coleslaw mix & stir to coat.
- Dice the avocado into small cubes & add to the mix.
- Chop the fresh cilantro & add to the mix. Toss to combine & let set in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to one day. Toss again before serving.
- Top with multi-colored tortilla strips, crushed Takis, or even Fritos before serving. Enjoy!
- You can easily substitute any creamy "Mexican" flavored store bought dressing you like. Creamy avocado dressing, Fiesta Ranch, etc. all work great.
- Add or substitute any veggies you like here! I sometimes add some drained & rinsed black beans to the mix, as well.
- NOTE: if you like a vinegar based coleslaw, feel free to add 1 tablespoon of your favorite vinegar to add some tang!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
COLESLAW SALAD TOPPERS
I’m obsessed with the add-ins & the toppings for this slaw. I mean, it’s called Easy Fiesta Lime Coleslaw….so you know there’s gonna be a few bold flavor add-ins here, right?
Corn (and even black beans) are a perfect addition to the slaw, but you can totally stick to the traditional slaw “mix” & leave these out. But, definitely add in the avocado, jalapeno & peppers to get the full effect.
Speaking of toppers–this may be my favorite topping of all time & I love throwing Fried Jalapenos (Trader Joe’s is my fav, but Walmart & Target have some, too!).
But, my kids really love the rainbow tortilla strips as a topper (see pic!). Either way, it’s nice to add a bit of crunch to the top & really level up your slaw.
CREAMY EASY FIESTA LIME MEXICAN SLAW
What I love about this slaw is that it’s actually a slaw my kids will eat. Regular coleslaw?? NOPE.
So what if they throw an extra handful of toppers on–they’re eating raw veggies & loving it.
Yeah, I’m telling you — this is a great one to get in the rotation this summer on Mexican Monday, Fiesta Friday, or anywhere in between.
Did you give this a try? Let me know your thoughts!
Leave a Reply