Elevate your sandwich night with TEXAS TOAST SLOPPY JOES & you’ll be fighting your kids for the last serving!
- 1 can sloppy joe sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 large bell pepper or 1 small bell pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water (if needed)
- 8 pieces Texas style toast
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL ADD IN:
- 1/2 package frozen diced butternut squash
- Heat oven to temperature required to cook Texas Toast.
- While oven is heating, dice onion & bell pepper.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil & cook Texas toast according to package directions.
- Over medium high heat, brown ground beef in a large skillet.
- Once beef is sizzling, add in diced onions and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
- Using the back of your spoon, make sure beef is broken apart and there are no large chunks.
- Cover & cook for about 5 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink.
- Onions and bell pepper should be softened & beef should no longer be pink.
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENT ADD IN:
- Heat butternut squash according to package directions in microwave.
- Add 1/2 package of thawed butternut chunks to beef mixture.
- Add sauce to beef mixture. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- When toast is cooked, pull out of oven & add 1/2 c. (or more) of mixture to top of each toast. Top with cheese.
- Cook in 400 degree oven for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- SUB: ground turkey, veggie crumbles, or ground chicken can be substituted for the ground beef.
- SUB: Any cheese will work for the top.
- OMIT: you may omit any of the veggies you don't like & replace with your favorite veggies or beans.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g