If you love all the flavors of a southern summer plate–but don’t feel like cooking–NO COOK SOUTHERN SUCCOTASH WITH COUNTRY HAM will check all those boxes.
Plus, check out those toppings! Fried onions & Bacon?
- 2 c. frozen baby lima beans (steam in the bag preferred)
- 2 c. frozen corn kernels
- 1 pint fresh tomatoes
- 1 ham steak (1+lbs)
- 4 Pre-cooked bacon slices
- French Fried Onions OR French Fried Jalapenos
- In the microwave, heat lima beans and corn according to package directions (if using the steam-in-the-bag).
- Otherwise, place frozen beans in a microwave safe bowl and cover with water. Heat until beans are fork tender but NOT mushy. These may take 5-7 minutes (or more) to cook. Stir every 2 minutes. Make sure the bowl is sufficiently big, or water may boil over in the microwave.
- While beans are cooking, dice ham & remove any fatty pieces, center bone, or hard edges.
- When beans are cooked, thaw corn in the microwave using a microwave safe dish. Make sure corn is covered with water.
- Do not overcook the corn. The goal is just to heat through. This may take about 2 minutes.
- Drain beans and corn of any water before combining with ham and tomatoes.
- In a microwave safe dish, warm ham up. Do not overcook. Heat in 30 second intervals. This may take approximately 2 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes in half or quarters.
- If using bacon, heat according to package directions. Crumble.
- Combine all ingredients in a large dish & top with bacon crumbles or onions.
- Country ham steaks are pretty inexpensive & can be found at almost every store. However, you can substitute spiral sliced ham, or diced ham if you prefer. Just be careful not to overcook small pieces when warming in the microwave.
- Fried Jalapenos are a GREAT substitute for the French Fried Onions that we often see at the store. They're pretty easy to find, too, as they're even at Walmart now. Even my kids love the kick that these fried spicy addictions add to this recipe! It's all about the toppings!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g