These ain’t ya mama’s dumplings, but I did learn this SOUTHERN CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS hack from a sweet-as-pie southern lady….and they’re heavenly.
- 48 oz. chicken stock
- 3/4 box of Anne's Frozen Dumplings Frozen dumplings (or Mary Hill Dumplings -- either brand works)
- 2 c. Pulled / Rotisserie Chicken
- 3 celery stalks (1 c.)
- 1 small onion (1 c.)
- 1 c. matchstick carrots
- 2 cans of milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- Dice chicken into small bite sized pieces. Set aside,
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a large stock pot (soup pot). Dice celery & onion and add to pot. Sautee until both are softened & onion is translucent.
- Add carrots and Italian Seasoning, stir.
- Add both cans of soup & milk. Mix well.
- Add broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling add frozen dumplings by breaking each dumpling strip into about 4 pieces & dropping into boiling soup.
- Stir after adding every few strips to ensure the dumplings don't go straight to the bottom and stick together.
- Once about 1/2 - 3/4 of the frozen dumplings have been added to the pot & stirred well, bring the soup back up to a low boil. Then, stirring frequently, keep soup at a low boil until the dumplings have cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add chicken at this point & ample salt and pepper.
- Then, turn off pot. Cover with a lid and let the dumplings sit for 15 minutes to fully plump. Enjoy!
- NOTE: you can always add additional stock to thin soup out to your liking.
- SHORT CUT: buy pre-cut onions & celery at the store for super quick dump & cook!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g