Easy sheet pan dinners can make weeknights a breeze, but they can be a bit bland. Not any more! This New Orleans style 5 ingredient BBQ shrimp recipe captures the complex flavors of the Big Easy with just a few ingredients! Now, this isn’t southern style BBQ sauce y’all. This is a spin on a New Orleans’ buttery sauce made with Worcestershire and loads of flavor. Get your napkins ready–you’re gonna need ’em!
New Orleans style BBQ shrimp is a quick meal that will have your whole family happily sopping up all that buttery, garlicy, savory sauce!
New Orleans BBQ Shrimp Oven Recipe
Like I mentioned above, this “BBQ” sauce isn’t your run of the mill BBQ sauce. It’s not really even BBQ sauce! Typically, BBQ shrimp in New Orleans is a rich sauce that combines Worcestershire, butter, and loads of different seasonings. It is sensational.
I’ve been able to capture all that succulence using just 5 ingredients!
Of course, you’ll want to start with big fresh shrimp. But, even if you only have frozen, then use what you’ve got! It’ll still be heavenly.
Next, you’ll add in the butter, garlic, and lemon. Then, there’s just one more ingredient! Pickapeppa Sauce. Wha? Never heard of it? You’ve probably passed it a million times in the ketchup isle and never paid it any mind.
This little bottle of heaven is like the Jamaican version of A.1. Steak Sauce. It is a complex Caribbean condiment that has the texture of A.1. And, it turns these beautiful Gulf shrimp into a heavenly mess when baked together with butter, garlic & lemon!
Seriously, it’s a flavor sensation that you just can’t pull yourself (or your bread) away from!
*Note: This is not a SPICY Cajun recipe. It actually has a hint of sweetness thanks to the mango in the background of the Pickapeppa sauce. It’s definitely not overwhelming sweetness just a lovely note in the background. It will pair well with some heat (if that’s your thing). Feel free to add some Zatarains or Tony’s to kick up the heat!
- 2 Lbs. Shell-On Gulf Shrimp (Large) (head on is optional)
- 1 Bottle Pickapeppa Sauce
- 1 Stick Salted Butter
- 2 Tbls Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Lemon + additional 1/2 for serving
- 2 Tbls. Chopped Parsley (optional)
- Baguette (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Clean and pat dry shrimp. Spray a cookie sheet (sheet pan) with cooking oil. Then, place the shrimp in 4 rows running down the length of the sheet. It makes the best use of space to alternate head/tails down the road.
- Then, cut dabs of butter and set on top of each shrimp. Just a little dab. Don't get too crazy.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the top of the shrimp.
- Pour the Pickapeppa sauce over the top of the shrimp. Coating each shrimp sufficiently.
- Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon over the top of the shrimp.
- Cover with foil.
- If you're using large (or extra large shrimp) you'll need to cook for at least 14 minutes. Feel free to rotate the pan after 8 minutes of cooking. At about 14 minutes check for doneness. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and a hefty squeeze of lemon before serving!
- Serve with warm bread to sop up all that glorious juice!
- If you're using small to medium shrimp, then you may want to check the shrimp at the 8 minute mark. If they are still translucent, then continue cooking for a few minutes longer or until done.
- You can't over do the garlic, butter, or lemon! So, use what you have, and enjoy sopping it up with the delicious bread!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 540mgSodium: 2963mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 61g
What to Serve With New Orleans BBQ Shrimp?
In a word: BREAD. All you need is carbs baby! French bread works beautifully with this dish. The inside will soak up all that sauce, but the crunchy outside will keep its texture.
It’s the perfect accompaniment!
That said, I’ve never met a sourdough I didn’t adore…or an Italian loaf for that matter. Crunchy, chewy, and sop worthy bread is your best choice.
Weeknight Sheet Pan Dinner
Whenever you eat this succulent meal, be sure to have a stack of napkins handy! You’ll have this luscious sauce dripping from your chin for sure.
A sauce this lovely usually takes a lot of ingredients. But, my amazing shortcut will give you all that New Orleans flavor with under five ingredients!
I hope this dish brings some new flavors to your table and smile to your face! If you need a little dessert to make that smile even bigger, then my Ultimate Nutella Banana Cream Pie is a MUST TRY!
We may be social distancing, but we can still connect! I’d love to know if this recipe worked out for you! Drop me a line in the comments below!